Thursday, January 16, 2014

Week from Australia Part 2 : What Did I Really Learn?

The second set of advice from Zach Griffith, study abroad alumnus from LaTrobe University-Bendigo.

Leave your worries behind.  It is easy to get caught up in the little day-to-day things, but never lose site of the goal or big picture.  Initially I was so worried about taking business classes and having all of my credits transfer back to graduate on time. 

Loch Ard Gorge along the Great Ocean Road
VIC, Australia Sept. 7, 2013
Never have I been more patriotic in my life than after
my abroad experience!
 One of the best decisions I made was to throw that mindset out the window and take classes I never would have had the opportunity to take at UNO.  I ended up taking a few outdoor education classes where I went on four camping trips, learning how to cross-country ski, flat-water canoe, white water kayak, and even rock climb. I never would have learned the things I did, or saw that side of Australia, if I had stuck to my accounting classes. Much of my learning and development came through traveling and exploring and was much more on a personal level than on an academic one. Try not to forget the “study” part of study abroad, because it is a lot easier to than you think.

Twelve Apostles along the Great Ocean Road
VIC, Australia Sept. 7, 2013
Wearing an American Flag Bandanna gets you many
looks, both good and bad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment